Sunday, July 8, 2007

A Gazebo and Squished By a Squash

It's getting really hot and humid here. We have not yet hit the triple digits like some other parts of the US, but it just may happen tomorrow. Anyway, if we do experience power failures and no air conditioning, we have a place to sleep outside because we are now the proud owners of this groovy gazebo:



Carlos and his buddy put it up this weekend. They sent me away while they did their guy thing in the backyard. Meanwhile, I went to our city's annual waterfront festival and watched the sailboat races and listened to a few bands that were performing there. And unfortunately, I did not bring my camera so I have no photos to post.

So instead here is a photo of my monster zucchini plant:



I would not be surprised if I find that it has invaded the kitchen when I wake up tomorrow morning. See how that leaf in the bottom of the picture has escaped the fencing. It is headed towards my back door and I know it is out to get me for I have violated this plant several times. I peek under its leaves almost daily looking for some fruit to harvest. And I do believe I have mentioned the words "zucchini bread" in its presence. So if you do not see any posts from me, it will be most likely because this plant is holding me hostage.
Is it just a coincidence that these plants are known as "squash"?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - I so luv the 'gazebo' - and well done the guys!!

Certainly a place to enjoy on a hot summer's day - although still keep one eye open for the monster 'zucchini' plant - as one just never knows - what the outcome may be!!

Peter

Enjoy the week.

Kelli said...

Your new gazebo is wonderful! It will be such a nice place to enjoy the summer evenings under!
Your zucchini plant is huge! It definitely didn't like the mention of the you know what!! LOL
Kelli

Steffi said...

Wow...your garden looks wonderful and I hope you enjoy much time there!