Saturday, December 15, 2007

Christmas Meme


Saw this Christmas Meme on Diana's blog and it sounded like a lot of fun, so here's mine:

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
It depends on the gift. Anything "boxy" gets wrapped. Large or odd-shaped gifts get bagged.

2. Real tree or artificial?
I love real trees, but I've been using an artificial tree for some time now, because the real ones dry out so quickly in our home. I usually hang some kind of pine wreath, so we can still have that real Christmas tree smell.

3. When do you put up the tree?
Our giant cat toy Christmas tree is going up this weekend. I will be housebound because we are expecting a nor'easter Saturday night and Sunday.

4. When do you take the tree down?
After January 6-Most people in my neighborhood celebrate the Epiphany.

5. Do you like eggnog?
I love it!! On Christmas morning, Carlos and I open our gifts to each other while having a cup of eggnog with a little Kahlua and some nutmeg sprinkled on top. (did I just hear someone say "Yuk!!"?)

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
A puppet theater, I think I was 9 or 10 years old. Our family kitty liked it too, for he often slept inside. He also starred in a few of our "productions".

7. Do you have a nativity scene?
Yes, a very old one from Italy which once belonged to my Grandmother. It's chipped and worn, but I treasure it. I display it beneath our Christmas tree, just like my Grandmother and Mother once did.

8. Hardest person to buy for?
Carlos!!!!!

9. Easiest person to buy for?
My dog, Raven. (Hey, she's a fur-person!)

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
My high school sweetheart once gave me a sweater with two large circles in the front placed exactly you-know-where, along with a pair of spoon and fork earrings. Thank the Lord we broke up right before the following Christmas!

11. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards?
Snail mail.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
It's A Wonderful Life

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
Usually in December, but sometimes I do a little before that.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
I have donated a few to charity.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
My family is Italian and on Christmas Eve we have the Feast of the Seven Fishes. There is plenty of shrimp, scallops, mussels marinara, calamari, linguine and clam sauce, flounder, and other seafood dishes. And of course, I love to eat all those yummy Christmas cookies.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
I've used colored ones for a long time, but this year I'm going to use clear ones that twinkle.

17. Favorite Christmas song?
O Come All Ye Faithful by anyone (even Twisted Sister!) I also love Christmas Canon by the Transiberian Orchestra.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Christmas Eve I spend with family (it's maybe 10 miles from here). Christmas Day I usually spend at home.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?
Dasher, Dancer, Comet and Blitzen. Donner, Cupid, Prancer, Vixen, and Rudolph.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
Usually a star.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Christmas Eve I exchange gifts with my family. Christmas morning, Carlos and I open our gifts to each other.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
I really don't like those gigantic air blown Christmas decorations a lot of people have on their front lawns. Especially during the day when they are deflated. Does anyone else feel this way?

23. What I love most about Christmas?
The true Christmas spirit. It is such a magical time.

If you read this-you're tagged!! Let me know-I'd love to see your answers.

4 comments:

... said...

yah, that was me you heard saying yuk :]

fun stuff. i've never heard of that feast of the seven fishes. what if you didn't like fish? and i'm trying to figure out why anyone would MAKE a sweater with two circles you know where.

thanks for sharing. hope you're enjoying your weekend.

Changes in the wind said...

I enjoyed your answers so yes, I joined in. Loved the tradition of putting the nativity scene under the tree. I have never seen that before and think I might do that myself:) Also never heard of the feast of the seven fishes...very interesting:)

Kelli said...

Can I skip the eggnog and just have the kahlua? ;0)
Your answers were fun to read! I feel the same way about the inflatables...not a fan!
Kelli

Janet said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one....I just don't like those huge inflatable decorations in the yard. Loved all your answers and I learned something new! I didn't know about the feast of the seven fishes. I like fish so it might be something I'd enjoy.