Friday, October 19, 2007

Show and Tell



Kelli at There is No Place Like Home is hosting Show And Tell Friday. If you would like to join the fun, please visit Kelli's blog and leave a link to your post.

My Show and Tell for this Friday are these two vintage American Cookery magazines my father gave to me. He knows I like vintage kitchen items, so when he goes garage "sailing" he's always on the lookout for goodies for me.

This one is from May 1926:



And this one is from October 1932:



Each magazine has recipes, homemaking tips, articles, and lots of great old time ads like these:



Here's a sample menu from the October issue on what to serve on "Witches' Night":

Moosemeat or venison steaks, or roast duck
Prune and apple puree with candied carrot rings
Grilled sliced oranges
Wild rice balls
Witches' hash
Barberry Jelly
Hazel nut and cinnamon buns
Witches'salad
Witches' brew
Doughnuts and cider

Dinner starts at eight-don't be late! You don't want to eat cold moosemeat!

Thank you for looking at my show and tell and thank you Kelli for hosting.

10 comments:

... said...

NO! i wouldn't want cold moosemeat!

the magazines look very interesting. thanks for sharing and i hope you have a great weekend.

nannykim said...

You should post some of the recipes!! The ones that look good, that is!! My brother had one of those felix cat clocks in his bedroom growing up--we loved it!!

Carole Burant said...

I love cookbooks, especially vintage ones...how wonderful that you have those two! xo

Mommy said...

Are the recipies hard to follow in something so old? I have found that with one old cookbook that I have.

I love them. I would frame them and hang them in the kitchen. :)

Quinne said...

Hi Lynne! These are wonderful :) I love old (should I say antique?- lol) recipes. My precious grandmother passed along her handwritten file to my mom and the to me. I love to read them, but trying to follow them is another story. Blessings! Q

Unknown said...

Your father's voyages are quite rewarding!

Blessings and bliss

Anonymous said...

Wow, so amazing - and a great gift from your Dad.

One can imagine some of the joys of recipes within...

Meow (aka Connie) said...

What an interesting magazine ... I, too, suggest you post some of the recipes ... they would be fascinating ... but only if you want to LOL.
Have a great week.
Take care, Meow

Steffi said...

Very nice post,Lynne and I like such things too.

Unknown said...

those re definetly great finds !!!

mica