Monday, October 8, 2007

More of Him Monday



Diana at Sunshine On My Shoulders is hosting More Of Him Monday. Why not visit her blog and check out her's and others' uplifting posts.

Overheard at Target this morning:

Wife to husband (as he rushes past her with shopping cart): "Where are you going?"

Husband: "I'm going straight to hell because I'm a non-believer. That has to be the biggest racket in the world-believing in God."

What the?????? I turned to catch a glimpse of the husband, a 70 something, owlish looking kind of fellow. Probably was not too thrilled to be spending this beautiful October morning shopping with the wife at Target; not really a "guy" kind of store. I should know for I had asked Carlos if he wanted to join me, but he declined my invitation and headed off to Home Depot instead.

But this man's words got me thinking-what would the world be like without this "racket"? What if nobody believed in God? No religion, churches, marriages, possibly no family unit. Would there be laws? Would there even be a USA? Didn't the colonists originally come here for religious freedom? Imagine no holidays; no Christmas, Easter, or Thanksgiving (who would we thank?).

Would there be love?

Would there be any good at all in this world?

How empty my life would be without Him!

I feel sorry for this man, for he is truly missing out on a lot. If I wasn't such a timid person, I would have said something like this to him: "Sir, you may not believe in God, but He believes in you and loves you anyway. I hope that someday you will invite Him into your life."

So instead I said a little prayer for him.

Nope this man doesn't know it, but someone was praying for him in the aisles of Target this morning. Maybe that's why God put me in the path of his shopping cart.
So he got an added "bonus" along with that 40 lb. bag of dog food I saw him heave into his cart.

God and I, what a "racket" we have going!

4 comments:

A Captured Reflection said...

Thank you for popping by my blog. Wow, this was a fascinating post, so sad for that man, especially as he was older. I would have done the same as you - prayed for him, rather than approached him.

... said...

oh, i love this lynne. how many times does something happen that gets us to think about God or a certain aspect of our spiritual life.

and how many times do we find ourselves praying for someone who has no clue that we're praying for them. sometimes that's all we can do.

thanks for sharing this with us today.

Susan said...

It is so sad that there are so many who do not know Him.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Perhaps this man of '70' - is closer to the reality of his final outcome....

Certainly does give one time for reflection...

Thank you for sharing with us.