Sunday, October 7, 2007

Safe Autumn Lights

I remember when I was in elementary about a hundred years ago that October was fire safety month. And these battery operated tea lights are a safe alternative to the real thing, especially in a home where there are children and pets (and grown-ups who tend to nod out very easily :o). Found a pack of 6 at Walgreens for $5 which really isn't so bad since I've seen single lights priced at a $1.50 or higher. They even flicker and look a lot like the real thing. They fooled Carlos. And they seem to last for quite a while. Have not had one "burn" out yet.

Here they are in one of my wall sconces. I've always been a bit leery of using the real thing here:



And they look really cool inside a paper lantern. I would NEVER use a regular tealight here:



I bought these lanterns at Le Gourmet Chef yesterday. A pack of three of these vintage-y looking lanterns was less than $3.00. I like vintage holiday decorations, but the real McCoy is often very pricey.
If I ever get around to carving a pumpkin, I'm going to put one of these tealights inside. A safe alternative to the real thing. And I'm sure the local squirrels will thank me when they go munching on my pumpkin!

And now my cat "Jeter" would like to comment:

"Just what is going on with those NY Yankees??? The Bronx Bombers have really bombed in the playoffs so far. I'm so embarrassed right now that I was named after their shortstop. I'm thinking of changing my name to "Rockie". Just look at my face in this photo-does it look like I'm kidding?"



"If you lose tonight, I'm going to bury my Daddy's Yankee cap in the litter box."


Well said, my dear kitty-cat! Let's go Yankees!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A creative idea - so warm and cosy - the lantern I mean...

Thanks for the comment and humour - yes back (the straitjacket = removed) for how long is a mystery???

Feel somewhat alien to the blog after such a time away....

Glad to see you are still blogging.

Alas Pippa went to a new home where the air was 'pure' and at least had another companion to enjoy the clean air with...

Peter

... said...

how cool. i don't think i've ever seen battery operated tea lights. i'm going to look for some.

go yankees!