Thursday, April 26, 2007

Show and Tell



My "Antique" Rock
I noticed that many of you ladies have posted lovely pictures of vintage jewelry, furniture, and other beautiful heirlooms, so I thought I'd show you one of my "antiques".
My show and tell is this rock I found at the Jersey shore many years ago. I was walking along the beach and I spotted an upside-down horseshoe crab that was struggling to flip itself over. Now I've always thought these creatures had to be one of the strangest (and ugliest) things that God created, but the animal lover in me felt sorry for it so I turned it right side up and watched it scoot away into the ocean. Then I looked down and saw this rock in the same spot where the horseshoe crab had been. I picked it up and noticed that it had many fossils on it and also pieces of shells. Being a teenager at the time, I thought it was the most amazing find ever. I've held onto it all these years-it's even spent time at the bottom of one of my fish tanks. I'm thinking of someday returning it back to the beach where I found it-there's a little nature center there which displays many items found at the Jersey shore and I think this is where it belongs.
Thanks for hosting the "Show and Tell", Kelli!

3 comments:

Kelli said...

That is amazing, Lynne! I can definitely see the fossils and the shell is beautiful! Thank you for sharing your neat treasure with us!
Kelli

Trella said...

How beautiful! What a cool fine. It is even more cool's about the fossils.
Thanks for sharing,
Trella

Susan said...

Very different and special.