Saturday, April 28, 2007

"Cheep" Thrills




I live in a congested, somewhat urban area in a long, narrow bungalow (think "shoebox-with-a-roof") that sits on a long, narrow lot. I am a nature lover and until I'm able to move to a more rural environment, I try my best to invite nature into my little postage stamp backyard. And the best way I've discovered to do this is by feeding the birds. I have several feeders in a few locations, including one on a post outside my cat's favorite window, a sort of kitty tv for him.
Spring is a great time for bird watching -there's lots of singing and birdie courtship going on out there. Just the other day I spotted a beautiful, blue-suede blue jay trying to impress a lady jay. His normally pointed crest was puffed out into a kind of pompadour and he was doing a little dance that would have made Elvis proud. The two of them flew off together and I'm sure their love nest is located in one of the nearby trees. And this morning I saw a starling with a long piece of palm (the kind that churches give out on Palm Sunday) in his beak. He must be building one blessed nest!
It's a pretty inexpensive hobby, too. I prefer using feeders, but you can also just throw some seed or bread on the ground. Birds also enjoy eating many kinds of nuts, fruits, and berries. Click here for some more detailed information on feeding. For some ideas on homemade bird feeders, check out this kiddie site. A bird field guide is also nice to have so you can identify your new feathered friends. And a pair of binoculars will come in handy if you want a closer look.
One more thing: once you start feeding them, they will remind you if you forget. My feathered friends like to line up on the fence outside my kitchen window and chirp when the feeders are empty. And yes, I do believe they called me "cheap".

1 comment:

Portrait of Peter said...

A great way of attracting the birds - got to admit I have several bird feeders around my gardens - and I luv to see them before I go off to work each day.

A wonderful post.