Monday, November 5, 2007

More of Him Monday



Diana at Sunshine On My Shoulders is the hostess of More of Him Monday. If you would like to share with us, please visit Diana's blog and leave a link to your post.

If I ever write my life story, it's going to be a cross between Marley and Me and Eat Pray Love. A dog guiding me along my spiritual journey? I know it sounds crazy, but lately our daily walks have taken an unexpected turn.

It used to be that during our walks, my mind was always elsewhere. I would walk Raven only because she wanted me to, and would annoy me until I finally got my butt off the couch and and put the leash around her neck. And once we were outside, all I could think about were all the things I had to do that evening or the next day. I wasn't enjoying these walks at all-I couldn't wait to return home.

I was too focused on the man-made world around me, mostly noticing the other houses and cars we passed along the way. Raven, on the other hand only seemed to see the "real world", the natural world, the one that God created. Maybe that's the reason she was enjoying these walks a whole lot more than I was.

So I decided to "see" the world through my dog's perspective and it really opened my eyes to all the beauty that surrounds me. No, I wasn't on all fours, but I just paid more attention to the natural part of the landscape. The subtle changes of the seasons, the songs of the different birds flying above, the sound of autumn leaves crunching under our feet, the colors of the sunset. And all this made me feel closer to God, for there was none of that man-made stuff clouding my vision.

It made me think of all the material things which hinder my relationship with Him.
And all that "mind clutter" piled inside my head which prevents me from hearing His quiet voice to guide me.

It is time for me to separate the wheat from the chaff and toss away what hinders my relationship with Him. A spiritual journey is a lifelong quest, with many twists and turns along the way. It's been a rough road for me at times and I really need to trust in Him more. And I know He wants nothing more than to guide me along that path, if only I will let Him. Maybe I'm the one who needs a leash.

4 comments:

Barb said...

You don't need a leash - just an open heart - that's all God wants.

Nature is a great door to God.

... said...

thanks for sharing this, lynne. i think this happens to us a lot and that sometimes it's hard to focus on the simple beauty of God and the life He wants for us. There's so much noise and visual stimulation that we can get lost in.

thanks for your comment to my post today. i'm sorry you're going through some of the same stuff. like you said, we can look to the future as something exciting because we know God is in control and He has a plan for us.

i'd love it if we could be praying for each other.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful way of 'enlightenment' - and who better than to 'awaken' the beauty than your delightful Raven.

I so loved your post and one finds much to reflect upon after such a read - thank you

Lynne said...

Thanks Barb, Peter, and Diana.

And Diana you are in my prayers. I pray all turns out well for you and your family.

I'm really concerned about losing my healthcare coverage if I lose my job. I think that is what worries me most.