Tuesday, September 11, 2007

September 11th memories

Twins
Twins


There is so much I could write about the World Trade Center. I have lived my entire life within 30 miles or less of Manhattan. I remember watching them being built over 30 years ago, wondering just what those two towers were and and how tall they were going to be. The above picture is how I best remember them-gleaming golden in the sun. They were a spectacular sight.

The morning of September 11th 2001 I was at work. We usually listen to a New York radio station, but on that fateful morning one of my co-workers had brought in some cd's and we noticed that among them was one by the Bay City Rollers. So a few of my other co-workers and I thought it would be funny if we put on "Saturday Night" and dance to it in front of the guy who had brought the darn thing in. Our supervisor goes to a meeting every morning at 8:45 so that is when we turned the radio off and put in the cd. The first plane hit the towers at 8:46 am and here we were, less than 30 miles away, dancing like fools.

We found out moments later what had happened as we were making our way up front for our morning break. We pretty much spent the rest of our workday huddled around the radio listening to the news. Some people left work to take their kids out of school and many of us thought we were about to be nuked at any moment since flight 93 was still unaccounted for and it had taken off from Newark. Some people formed prayer circles as many of us knew someone that worked in the World Trade Center. People that hadn't spoken to each other for awhile were shaking hands and hugging. There's nothing like a tragedy to bring people together.

I remember the drive home from work later that afternoon. It was a beautiful clear sunny day and there was this eerie calmness all around. There was hardly any traffic on the normally congested roads. And then I saw it-the long plume of smoke across that sunny blue sky. And that's when it really hit me and I started to cry.

I live right across the river from Staten Island, one of the five boroughs of NYC. There is a bridge near my home which connects New Jersey to Staten Island. As I got closer to home I remember seeing these abandoned cars everywhere. All the bridges and tunnels to New York were closed to all traffic except emergency vehicles and I assumed people left their cars and walked over the bridge to reach their destinations. I never really did find out for sure.

I drove to our local Home Depot where there is an excellent view of New York City from the parking lot. I got out of my car and could not believe what I was seeing in front of me. To see the NYC skyline enveloped in a shroud of smoke has to be the most unreal thing I have ever witnessed-I will never forget it.

The smoke lingered here for weeks. I remember yanking out what was left of my vegetable garden because everything was coated with this fine ash and I did not want to ingest whatever was in that dust. After seeing what many of the rescue workers are going through, I think I made a wise decision.

Tonight depending on the weather, I may be able to see some of the "Tribute In Light" from my front porch. It's not a full view like the picture below, but you can make out two lights if the conditions are right. And even if they're not, I will still be outside at 9:11 pm like I have done for the past six years, praying for the victims and their families.

World Trade Center Memorial Lights, New York City by Rudi Von Briel
World Trade Center Memorial Lights, New York City

6 comments:

... said...

both pictures are beautiful. i can't even imagine what it would be like living so close. not only being there during that day but to see the skyline on a regular basis and i'm sure there are still a lot of conversations that revolve around the tragedy and the people involved in some way.

thanks for sharing.

Lynne said...

I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing that large gap in the skyline.

Most of the towns around here have some type of September 11 memorial and there are subtle reminders everywhere. Some streets have been renamed after the victims.

Steffi said...

Great post,Lynne!I enjoyed to read it!Your picture are really nice!Yes,that was a terrible day the september 11,2001 and I´m sure the most peoples still know what they have done on this day...I was at work and I heard it at radio there...
Unfortunately I was still never in New York.

Greetings,Steffi

Lynne,you know what´s happend with Peter?His blog is delete and I don´t know why...

Lynne said...

Steffi, I was going to ask you the same thing about Peter. He does delete his blogs often but he usually still commented on our blogs. I haven't heard anything from him in almost a month. I hope he's okay.
Glad you liked the 9/11 post.

Steffi said...

Yes, Lynne it´s a mysterious thing with Peter!I would like to know what´s happend with him.Maybe he is in vacation but normally nobody delete than the blog... I don´t know!

Have a nice weekend!

sweetlee said...

I have a picture of the Twin Towers during my visit to NYC in 1998. It's posted in my blog www.sweetleefoodventures.blogspot.com (I am a 5o Blogger).I am just curious to ask if you have a photo of the twin towers as backdrop having lived in that area all your life. Enjoy your blog a lot.