Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Hot Hot Hot!

Evening Dresses for August 1808, from Le Beau Monde or, Literary and Fashionable Magazine
Evening Dresses for August 1808, from Le Beau Monde or, Literary and Fashionable Magazine




What dreadful hot weather we have!
It keeps me in a continual state of inelegance.
- Jane Austen

Nobody ever drowned in his own sweat.
- Ann Landers

If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?
- Steven Wright

Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability.
- Sam Keen

Can you believe it's August already? We're about to embark on a week long heat wave in NJ, seven days of hazy, hot and humid weather. Yes, that sure sounds like August to me.

So, what do you think of those summer fashions from 200 years ago in the above picture? Kind of cute, but I would prefer shorter sleeves for the warm weather. I wonder what they wore to the beach?

Well, I'm going to enjoy a LAZY summer evening on the porch-a little too hot for "walkies" tonight. Stay cool wherever you are!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please excuse if I show 'envy' at your wonderful heatwave, an experience that I so long for here!!

A delightful post and so agree as to the fashions of past centuries during such a hot summer - makes one wonder.

I so luv the quotations too.

I guess when faced with such appeal of "lazy summer evening on the porch". One can understand the reluctance for "walkies".

Better luck next time Raven!!

Peter

Kelli said...

Those outfits sure are pretty but I would be sweating like crazy!
No, I can't believe August is here! I hope you are able to stay cool!
Kelli